In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The first Assassins were exterminated by the Mongols, a small benefit to be set against the latter's reinforcement of Asiatic despotism in Russia, Central Asia and the Near East.
- Macias exterminated a third of his populace before being executed after a 1979 coup.
- I would lie there and hear the soldiers cursing and shooting whichever people they had randomly decided to exterminate that night.
- According to the leadership's orders, bandits were to be exterminated and destroyed.
- ‘Genocide is the attempt to eliminate, limit or exterminate a religious ethnic national or racial group,’ he said.
- Apart from his desire for even more power, Sejanus was also interested in exterminating the Jews.
- It was also part of the world-empire of Ghenghis Khan, who once exterminated the Afghan city of Bamiyan to avenge a grandson slain in battle.
- If we accept, that the way of justice, is to exterminate the life of a murderer, then why do we choose such a painful method of killing?
- He exterminates his enemies and wipes whole tribes off the map.
- Developing foetuses cannot be defined as a ‘race’ in any meaningful sense, and a seriously planned attempt to wipe them out would swiftly exterminate the human race.
- And, although Germany eventually lost the country to other foreign powers after the WW I, exterminating those they regarded as their enemies remained a part of their national strategy during war.
- British poets flocked to defend a régime that destroyed 20,000 churches in Spain and tried to exterminate whole classes of society, including 6,832 priests, monks and nuns.
- It is an overwhelming fact that so many people could be totally exterminated.
- Koplow concedes that this is the primary reason why some feel strongly about not exterminating the virus stockpiles currently held in the United States and Russia.
- Christian missionaries promoted their eradication, and most had been exterminated by the beginning of the 20th century.
- If they were exterminating British prisoners of war do we seriously think that we wouldn't have done all we could to stop it?
- ‘This level of quite horrific violence which has been perpetrated against the pygmies is part, or was part, of a campaign aimed at exterminating them,’ he said.
- Not only did these exterminate whole populations, they also destroyed native faith in their rulers, culture, and gods.
- It's a massacre, they exterminate people for the fun of it.
- Let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request; for we are sold, I and my people, to be destroyed, to be massacred and to be exterminated.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.