In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(animal/species) extinto(animal/species) desaparecido(volcano) extinto(volcano) apagadoto become extinct — extinguirse
- The talk in the lecture theatre on Saturday at 1.30 pm will look at living animals as well as extinct species revealed in some of the rarest fossils.
- These affections are leaving the world like the colors of extinct birds, like the songs of a dead language.
- What kinds of extinct species had once belonged to the groups?
- Still, is it unethical or immoral to bring an extinct species back from the dead?
- Most paleontologists now agree this member of an extinct group of birds is not the ancestor of any group of modern birds, nor is it a link between reptiles and birds.
- I'm sure he's right that the giant panda could go extinct without materially affecting human existence.
- On the eastern side of the bluff, the bones of extinct species of bison attest that the promontory was once used as a buffalo jump.
- Just to the west of Mount Schank, an extinct volcano created a series of deep sinkholes, which harbour some unusual life forms.
- Because of the unusual pattern of speciation preceding extinction, the region contained a mix of extinct and living species through the period of change.
- A Lancaster woman is to hike 6,000 metres up to the summit of an extinct volcano.
- Wilson is a natural orator, and the finest passages in the book are elegiac songs of life and wistful recollections of lost habitats, extinct flora and fauna.
- The Victorian Bird Collection includes a diverse array of specimens from around the world including rare and extinct species.
- El Laco is an extinct volcano of pure magnetite!
- Granted, this species is extinct, but not that long ago, they filled this island.
- Visually, the city keeps you enthralled, with its setting atop a series of extinct volcanoes and rocky crags.
- Endangered or extinct species such as the small panda and the monk seal are on display.
- This study indicates a habitat and ecological polarity of this extinct species different from its nearest living relatives.
- He also included several extinct genera in this family, some of which have a pyramidal spire.
- We were pleased to read recently that efforts are being made to re-establish an almost extinct species in Kerry.
- She has also been working with Yellowstone National Park to help realize her pet project on extinct species.
- It is the first time an extinct species has been reintroduced into the UK.
- The islands are low coral caps surmounting submerged extinct volcanoes.
- With excessive fishing, these species are almost extinct.
- But the related species of one extinct group, the glyptodonts, had a single-piece carapace similar to that of tortoises.
- Five species are now extinct and 15 have been lost from over half their range.
- Today, many of these species are ecologically extinct from their former ranges and large mammals are absent from most coastal ecosystems.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.