In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- One of America's toughest cops is lashing out at the judicial system in Ireland after that country refused to extradite an accused pedophile priest.
- Should he be extradited to Spain to stand trial for the grave crimes of which he is accused?
- He was subsequently extradited to Poland, where he was tried, found guilty and hanged.
- In any event, legal agreements with some of the countries from which the accused men had been extradited would have prevented execution.
- Now Mr Sutcliffe could be prosecuted in Canada, but would they go to the extent of extraditing a person accused of a relatively minor offence?
- Anyone complicit in crimes against humanity should be extradited to the relevant jurisdiction to stand trial.
- There was evidence that he could not be extradited to Italy, and his plea was rejected.
- Certainly, it is true that no formal application was made by the United Kingdom to extradite the applicant to that country.
- What would happen if the Thai authorities sought to extradite him?
- The constitution or the laws of many civil law countries lay down the principle that nationals may not be extradited for prosecution abroad.
- However, various international instruments impose an obligation on States to extradite suspects accused of certain crimes if requested.
- It is believed that Norfolk is the first Trading Standards Department to extradite a convicted criminal from abroad.
- Under the warrant, police in any member state can request that any other EU country extradite someone suspected of committing a crime.
- While he was here, the government of Spain sought to extradite him to stand trial for conspiracy to murder, conspiracy to torture, and hostage taking.
- As a result of the information provided by Mr B, this inmate was extradited to South Australia to face a charge of murder.
- Foreign defendants tend to be extradited to their country of origin.
- The only countries whose policy is not to extradite refused asylum seekers are Greece and Italy.
- Accordingly, it is said it would be oppressive to extradite the applicant to France.
- Miss Dobbin submitted that the question for this court is whether, by reason of the passage of time, it would be unjust or oppressive to extradite the appellant.
- None of the hundreds of other people charged in absentia with similar crimes has ever been extradited to East Timor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.