In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Well the strap can slip or the eyelet rings can break, and the whole lot hits the floor unless you have lightning reflexes.
- I would recommend leaving the eyelets for the laces accessible.
- That's in the face of a staggering 51,840 possible lacings for a shoe with just five eyelets on each side, and millions more for shoes with a larger number of eyelet pairs!
- In effect, instead of zigzagging, the lacing path is reflected at each eyelet so that it is straightened out as much as possible.
- Push an eyelet through the fabric from the motif side; it should fit snugly in the hole.
- He specified that the shoelace visit all eyelets and that every eyelet contribute toward pulling the two sides of the shoe together.
- It turns out, however, that shorter lacings are possible if the lace doesn't have to pass alternately through the eyelets on the left and right side of the shoe.
- After the child laces the ribbon length through the eyelet holes, show him/her how to weave the needle end through the previous stitches on the back.
- A sampler follows a tablecloth onto the table, small white cotton squares on pink linen showing the proper way to handcraft a button hole, an eyelet hole, attach a hook.
- For a tighter fit, people with narrow feet should buy shoes with eyelets farther away from the tongue than people with wider feet.
- Inside the boot's leather-and-nylon shell, an adjustable hook-and-loop heel strap, pulley eyelets, and cord laces snug up the quarter-inch-thick insulated liner.
- She wore a blue leotard-style top and baggy indigo jeans rolled up to reveal strong bare ankles thrust into a pair of dusty black canvas shoes with torn eyelets and lagoon-blue laces.
- It's also shaped like a bra so it's easier to get on and off - I hook the eyelets while wearing it backwards and then shift the bra around to get my arms through it.
- Wrap waxed linen thread through the eyelets twice and tie one knot.
- Figure 7 shows an eyelet that is rounded only at its tip to accommodate the suture.
- Connect the pieces by tying one piece of elastic string through all eyelets.
- You can also forgo the stocking stitch, but personally, I prefer not having the eyelets so close to the edge and this way, the edging would echo the sleeve pattern.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.