In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
Aviación Motor Vehicles
- The self-sealing fuel tanks are mounted in external fairings on the sides of the fuselage.
- The wing fairing and the associated structure have been installed on the forward fuselage section.
- At about five minutes into the flight the booster engine drops off and the payload fairing - a protective shell - jettisons.
- Years later when the definitive fin/rudder was retrofitted to this aircraft, these fairings remained unchanged.
- Each tank is fitted with a gravity fuelling point and there is a pressure refuelling point in the landing gear fairing on the starboard side.
- Emergency floatation units can be installed on the main landing gear fairings and on the forward section of the fuselage.
- The engine nacelles are fitted with trouser fairings to provide a continuous streamlined profile between the nacelles and the tail beams.
- The main landing gear, each equipped with two wheels in tandem, is installed in fairings on the underside of the fuselage.
- The interior is finished and painted and most of the internal components and some of the external fairings have been rebuilt and are ready to go back in.
- As with any other military aircraft, the cowling and fairings had taken a pretty good beating as they were taken on and off hundreds of times.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.