In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was particularly interested in the courtiers and the ancient sports they practiced, including falconry and the use of trained cheetahs to hunt deer and gazelle.
- The Rural Affairs Minister unveiled proposals to relax the ban on hunting with hounds and falconry.
- Attractions include working crafts and conservation marquees, an art exhibition, falconry and archery displays as well as a demonstration of carriage driving.
- In the seventeenth centaury, there was a decline of falconry, and it was then that groups of hunters and their hounds first established ‘organised’ hunting in England.
- Hunting, falconry, fishing, rowing and sailing were all considered suitable pastimes for a freeman or noble, which left the more ignoble sports of grappling with others to the lower classes.
- Beyond the main flying arena which is used for falconry displays and training courses, there are numerous barns and aviaries for housing and breeding the birds.
- The country sports area alongside the lake will include hunting, shooting, fishing and gun dog scurry together with falconry and ferrets and a live smithing competition each day.
- A current population estimate is needed to help assess the influence that trapping for falconry has on the population as it migrates through Eurasia.
- Humans have used raptors (both Accipitrids and falcons) for hunting and recreation in the form of falconry since as early as 2000 BC.
- Employees from Ashford Castle's school of falconry bring hawks and falcons to Rathroeen where they keep vermin and other birds at bay.
- The ancient, highly ritualized practice of falconry provided another source of positive associations for birds of prey.
- The medieval hunting tradition of falconry was outlawed in Quebec in the early '80s, and we remain one of the last places in North America to ban the aerial hunt.
- Wanting to protect falconry as a sport, the government did not restrict the number of dogs that can be used to flush wild mammals for a bird of prey.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.