In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1a fallen woman — una mujer perdida arcaico eufemismo
- Clytemnestra, like Eve, is a fallen woman who must be defeated and killed in order to allow for the regeneration of the male order.
- One of the images I think that has endured is the image of the fallen woman who's destroyed by love.
- Not long before, the fallen woman had been held up as the villain of the age, not its victim.
- So, they began to run homes for fallen women, they called it, young girls.
- Kitty becomes, in her mother's eyes, a fallen woman after being flattered into using her singing talent for a career on the vaudeville stage.
1the fallen — los caídos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.