In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(relatives)familia femenino(doctor) de cabecera(Bible) familiar(business/gathering/car) familiar(fortune/jewels) de la familiamy son and his family — mi hijo y su familia
- the Smith family — la familia Smith
- they have family in California — tienen parientes / familiares / familia en California
- immediate family — parientes cercanos
- we are a very close family — somos una familia muy unida
- she comes from a good family — es de buena familia
- her family goes back a long way — es de una familia muy antigua
- this is a family affair — este es un asunto de familia
- the family home — la casa paterna
- you can see the family likeness — se le ve el aire de familia
- this is a family show — este es un espectáculo para familias
- The good thing about having a big family, all living together, is having the support, and not being lonely.
- They must find support from their families and friends to deal with the stress, anger, and fear they experience.
- They also wanted to thank the media and friends and family who had supported their struggle to have their son released.
- The recent episode where they all pull together as a family was great.
- As a result, family camping is big during that time as families vacation together.
- If there were no one parent families, average family incomes would be much higher.
- The couple told their families that they planned to marry, although no definite plans had been made.
- The happy couple tied the knot in the Holy Family Church and this was a very special occasion for the couple and their families.
- Thank you to all the friends and family for all the support, whether it was food or condolences.
- Many families find themselves in a social trap, unable to get back on their feet to enjoy the concept of living as a family.
- Burial took place before a very large gathering of family, relatives and friends.
- Eighty three percent of families are on some sort of benefit.
- Ibsen goes even further in The Wild Duck, as it examines a family that is knit together with lies.
- Inquiries are still ongoing into the deaths just over a week ago, and the couple's families are still struggling to come to terms with what has happened.
- He emigrated to England at a young age, to work on farms with other members of his family to earn a living.
- Al Anon offers understanding, help and support to families and friends of problem drinkers in a confidential manner.
- But Choi argued how can families have fun together when parents are likely to concentrate on betting.
- The couple's families were surprised at the union, but Imran and Jemima married in the summer of 1996.
- Hampshire police is also providing support to the families of people who have been affected by the disaster.
- Michelle and dad Tony brought her home for five treasured days over Christmas so the family could be together.
- Dad sets the timer on his camera and gets the whole family together for a group photo.
- You are asked to encourage as many of your friends and family to donate blood.
- But we have had a lot of encouragement, we have friends and families coming out to support us, and we know we have the backing at home.
- He encouraged everyone to put pressure on family, relatives and friends to turn out.
- Sincere sympathy is extended to all the families, relatives and friends of the deceased.
- Money for the project has come from the Parents Association and donations from families together with anonymous benefactors.
- Six months on and the case has disappeared from the news, leaving the couple's families to try to rebuild their lives.
- Groups such as Family Mediation Scotland are attempting to help families stay together, but apart.
- Their home was a very happy place, which family, relatives and friends loved to visit.
- As the cause of death was read out, friends and family supported each other in their loss.
- Ashley went on to say that they are hoping to raise a family together by adopting a baby.
- NEW safety rules which stopped many families from swimming together have been abandoned after protests from parents.
- But the couple's families may never know what turned Richard Mace into a killer before taking his own life.
- In single-parent families or families where both parents are at sea, the children are signed over to a guardian.
- Laura came from quite a good family, both parents still together, a rarity in those parts.
- The family of the couple packed the court to see Oakley change his plea at the 11 th hour.
- As a result, some families rarely eat dinner together and parents and kids may not be taking the time to stay connected.
- What matters most is that their close families and friends fully support their marriages.
- Shared parenting and family friendly work practices for both parents might even just keep more families together.
- Trendsetting Jamie Oliver is already taking steps to get the whole family online and cooking together.
- Several meals out have been lavishly enjoyed by the couple and their family at this stage!
- The property is not suitable for large families so the target market when trying to sell it is that of the first-time buyers and couples with young families.
- Couples desperate to start families come from across the North of England for fertility treatment in Leeds.
- Couples with families might see more benefit in suburbs, or dormitory towns.
- Every success in the future on this new venture to the couple and their family.
- In the meantime, my college friends have embarked on their careers, marriages and families at home.
2.1(group of people)the family of man — la gran familia humana
- the university family — la comunidad universitaria
- Later, Spencer recognized two new orders and three new suborders for the Paleozoic families.
- Like the campanula family, the geranium genus is very large with the pratenses forming only a small part of the whole.
- If one denies paraphyletic taxa, where do genera and families come from?
- The latter two families contain a single genus each that include one and three species, respectively.
- It takes time to learn so many new families, genera, and species.
- The family consists of four genera, one of which is the Norwalk-like viruses.
- The two species belong to very different taxonomic families.
- We measured skull length because it is often taken as a measure of size, particularly within genera or families.
- The simulated taxa can be seen as analogous to genera or families, the usual focus of diversity studies.
- Currently, little is known about relationships among families and genera of cavioid rodents.
- According to Tralau, the order Ginkgoales consists of six families and 19 genera.
- This group contains four retroposon families representing three genera of culicines.
- The common names of these berries are confusing and sometimes overlap with those of berries in other genera or families.
- In addition, honeyeaters are known to forage on a range of plant families, genera and species at any one time, and do not rely on a single plant species for food.
- In genera of several families, species have been identified that possess no or no fully developed C 4 cycle.
- Woodiness in Apiaceae is rare, as woody species are found in only ten of the 400 or so genera in the family.
- Two families and nine genera are known, although some of these latter are may turn out to be junior synonyms.
- The families, genera, and species are alphabetically arranged within each group.
- Their studies resulted in a profusion of new families, genera, and species.
- Most authors agree in assigning a basal position in the family to both genera.
2.3(set of related items, products)familia femeninothe violin family — la familia del violín
- The news that GABA receptors constitute a family of proteins was music to drug companies' ears.
- It is one of the youngest and the newest member of the family of constitutions.
- Then the river flow shrank to a trickle, forcing both families of hippos to share the same watering hole.
- There is a great need for phylogenetic analysis of virtually all the constituent families.
- They constitute a large family that includes both parasitic and free-living varieties.
- Luther dramatically succeeded and thereby inaugurated a new family of Protestant readings.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.