In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- While it sounds great it does also seem a bit far-fetched and of course there is the very real objection that what comes after corrupt monarchies might actually be worse.
- Only when a risk becomes far-fetched or fanciful will the law refuse to acknowledge it.
- If it sounds too far-fetched to be true, it's not.
- This gives the text a flare similar to that of a supermarket tabloid - eye-catching, but too far-fetched to be credible.
- Who knows, but what they propose is not as far-fetched as it sounds.
- In the end, I don't think that what I was thinking was quite so far-fetched, because the premise of this show is absolutely evil.
- I find that the opposition to this bill is far-fetched, to the point of being ridiculous.
- I have a theory, but it might sound really far-fetched.
- Your Honour, I do not know the full facts, but from the facts that your Honour has given me, it would not seem to be far-fetched or fanciful.
- It's too far-fetched to imagine a conspiracy, of course.
- If this sounds a little far-fetched, just think about yourself.
- For Shanghai gourmets, the prospect of being able to enjoy authentic Egyptian food has always sounded a bit far-fetched.
- Talk of people hacking into the system is not entirely far-fetched.
- The theory is not as far-fetched as it would at first appear.
- Quite frankly, it all sounded a little far-fetched as I read the back of my trial pack, but the idea of pheromones has always held something of a fascination to me.
- The steady improvement in records of all sporting events may, at first glance, look like biological evolution at work, but that is far-fetched.
- As a foreseeability issue it was far-fetched and fanciful.
- It's far-fetched, of course, but not outside the realm of possibility.
- But ornithologists believe these theories are far-fetched.
- But being so explicit is not as far-fetched as one might think.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.