In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Don't take the spotlight off this farcical situation until the offenders are arrested.
- What is surprising is that this farcical situation was ever allowed to develop in the first place.
- The whole idea of the proposed redevelopment of the centre is farcical, unnecessary and at odds with what many people really want.
- It sounds absurd but the entire episode has been so completely farcical that one can hardly believe that it took place at all.
- It's farcical situation, more so now that so many clubs are living hand to mouth.
- This is farcical administration of the immigration law and it demeans the very concept of national interest.
- No, thankfully, or the situation could have ended up in an ever increasingly farcical court case.
- It's an extraordinary system in America, quite different from the farcical situation here.
- In some areas closures are already beginning to affect the quality of treatment, producing some farcical situations.
- It is simply a matter of preposterous and farcical behavior by a hegemon.
- No matter how outlandish and farcical some of the events become everything remains firmly grounded in a sense of reality.
- At this point the story takes a bit of a farcical turn of events.
- Lots of farcical situations arise, which it would be unsporting to divulge.
- Over the past five years, each have contrived to reduce the events to farcical levels, at least once.
- What strikes me about the events of the past week is the surreal farcical vulgarity of it all.
- This turn of events was later described by a judge as a farcical about-face on the part of the Council.
- This dramatised story of his life matched its subject by being the most farcical depiction of an artist I think I've ever seen.
- There were dozens of council officials and police officers there - it was a farcical situation.
- You are doing an admirable job of reporting this farcical event and I trust you will continue.
- They're so enormous, so stratospheric, so downright farcical that all I can offer in response is a kind of hollow laugh.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.