In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1reactor rápido masculino
- An experimental fast reactor, built at Dounreay in the north of Scotland, began operation in 1959, and paved the way for the first fast-breeder reactor power station.
- In fact it is proposed to turn it into more fuel which could power fast reactors for 1000 years.
- The waste consists of 44 tonnes of ‘breeder’ fuel that was wrapped around the core of the Dounreay fast reactor, a prototype which was shut down in 1977.
- For such a leap, the country needs ‘accelerated systems’ or fast reactors which utilise thorium.
- But after the reactor was abandoned, it was shipped to Dounreay in the early 1990s to burn in the British prototype fast reactor.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.