In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She murders both her father-in-law and her husband before being deported to Siberia.
- Acts of defiance or insubordination by women toward their husbands, fathers-in-law, or other senior male relatives can result in beatings from male relatives, especially one's husband.
- I did eventually find a space after leaving my father-in-law at an entrance with instructions to not go anywhere until I got back.
- They showed up at my home before dinner, and dragged me away in front of my father-in-law and mother-in-law.
- Women normally adopt a deferential attitude toward men, especially to their husbands and fathers-in-law.
- But after his father-in-law accepted him as a family member, he found him to be very nice.
- He does not have much patience for either his wife or his father-in-law's hypochondria.
- It will have to be signed by his wife, his father-in-law and his father jointly.
- In those days the daughters-in-law of a house and their fathers-in-law weren't supposed to have any direct contact.
- One of the few solid relationships was with his father-in-law.
- I said yes, if I could take my wife and daughter, as well as my father-in-law and his sister who was staying with us.
- We just got back from a dinner celebrating my father-in-law's birthday.
- Then our family members, including my father-in-law, discussed the matter.
- His wife Sylvia recalls the final day she saw her father-in-law alive.
- My father-in-law is the producer and my husband has done a guest role in it.
- His wife was outside with a candy bar and his father-in-law Lionel was next to him.
- True-to-form, Phil ended up throwing his considerable weight around and smacking his father-in-law to be.
- One month later, her father-in-law died and her husband became King Louis VII.
- His father-in-law Jimmy passed away this morning after a long illness.
- Aidan looked at his father-in-law and then over at his wife before finally agreeing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.