In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1Botánica Zoología Biología(organ/hormone) femeninoa female elephant/ant — un elefante/una hormiga hembra
1.2(of humans)(population/suffrage) femenino(victim) del sexo femenino(ward) de mujeresfemale heir — heredera femenino
- female prisoner — presa
- female graduates — licenciadas
- that's a typically female reaction — esa es una típica reacción femenina / de mujer
1Botánica Zoologíahembra femenino
- The cubs are cared for by all the females in the pride, and will suckle from other females as well as from their mother.
- Figures show that women in Glasgow will die earlier than females anywhere else in Britain.
- The life cycle begins as the adult female lays its eggs while burrowing into the skin.
- This can be easily done in very thin females but is more difficult in heavier women.
- This is more frequent in teenage boys than girls but is increasing among young females in my experience.
- Most of my key operational females have no childcare responsibilities at all.
- For moss sperm, attempts at fertilizing the female of the species may be doomed before they even begin.
- It also occurs in females, particularly when they need to defend their young.
- However, the sexual objectification of females is not confined to pornography.
- The females enter the spawning bays a few days later and spawning normally occurs around dawn and dusk.
- Biological differentiation into male and female makes sexual reproduction possible.
- When the females arrive they rest up in deeper water until conditions are perfect for spawning.
- This may give females a particularly large benefit from reallocating paternal expenses.
- Everyone young and old, male and female bore this mark in the same place.
- The sharks stay as late as December some years, before the females head north into Mozambique.
- It is the females that inflict the bite to extract the blood they need to assist the production of their eggs.
- There is also some sage advice for females wanting to break into what is still essentially a male domain.
- This system of marking the females is still used at all levels of society.
- The females manoeuvre for position in the middle of the shoal - with the biggest in the centre.
- The chromosome from the father determines whether the offspring becomes male or female.
2.1(in official reports)mujer femeninoa female aged 32 — una mujer de 32 años
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.