In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1helecho masculinocovered in fern(s) — cubierto de helechos
- In plants, it is frequent in mosses and ferns, but also occurs in flowering plants.
- The children collected leaves from plants such as ferns etc. which will be used for nature study purposes.
- Beads of water clung in rows to the broad leaves of fern and pillows of moss.
- The track was soft and mossy, and it led though ferns and brackens, thickets of brambles and groves of tall Himalayan cedar trees.
- A tiny pocket of ground planted with a leafy surround and blanketed with ferns is enough to suggest a woodland garden.
- Found in the shade throughout the growing season are numerous ferns and fern allies.
- The plants were simple ferns and a small tree that at the moment she couldn't place.
- The sun was reaching into the shady side, and giving the fronds of the garden ferns an afternoon treat.
- Despite its name, this evergreen is not a pine but a spore-bearing plant related to ferns.
- Early nests are often in a shrub or on a bracken fern, and later nests are usually on the ground under a shrub, often a blueberry.
- If the fern is planted in a pot and kept in semi shade or even in a place where it gets some more sunlight, you will soon find the plant spreading around.
- Re-pot greenhouse ferns and other foliage plants as they begin to come into growth.
- Bracken and several other ferns are suspected of causing cancer.
- Although the ferns share many similar features, there is no single characteristic trait that can diagnose a plant as a fern.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.