In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The boardwalk was alight with rides, stands, and a giant Ferris wheel.
- Instead of Italian elegance, Venice became known as the playground of the Pacific, with balloon rides, Ferris wheels and arcades.
- Even the giant Ferris wheel on the River Thames, now a big hit, was shut down for months because of loose widgets, or some such.
- I was expecting the largest Ferris wheel, but it was apparently the oldest Ferris wheel.
- It will be based on the north-side of the River Suir for the week and will feature Ireland's biggest roller coaster and a giant Ferris wheel that will provide some of the best views of the fleet of tall ships.
- Film the museum you visited or the Ferris wheel you rode.
- In fact, the famed Brooklyn amusement park is a recurring motif in these paintings that feature carousel horses, Ferris wheels, fireworks, rockets and extravagant fantasy architecture.
- A giant seesaw took the place of the Ferris wheel that had been a symbol of the Chicago fair.
- There will be rides in the park here, like the Ferris wheel and stuff, as well as carnival games.
- Entry to the centre is free and the entertainment includes pony rides, a Ferris wheel, carousels, a mini train, face painters and circus acts, among other fun things to do.
- We can hear distant screams of excitement and fear, and the strains of a rock song coming from the carnival at the far end, which has roller coasters and Ferris wheels sprouting up every so often.
- Instead they were waiting patiently - and soberly - for a ride on the Ferris wheel, punching each other playfully and teasing about girlie things.
- It's virtually a fun fair at Tableland now, with games stalls, buggy rides, Ferris wheels, snack shops and other rides being available.
- At one point I found myself riding the Ferris wheel in Dam Square trying to see how fast I could spin the bucket.
- In Fun Fair Zone, kids and the young-at-heart can enjoy rides and activities in the festival's spacious Fun Park, which includes Ferris wheels, carousel and the water-dunking game.
- The last ride of the evening was the giant Ferris wheel.
- It was a pure stroke of luck that our last ride was near the giant Ferris wheel and we sank down onto the rocking metal seats with relief.
- One company wants to build a giant Ferris wheel which would whisk people 177 ft above the National Railway Museum.
- At the film's beginning, the juvenile protagonists ride a Ferris wheel and fantasize about traveling to the sea, a child-like sentiment never to be repeated.
- No visit to the carnival is complete with a ride on the Ferris wheel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.