In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Their social behaviour enables them to exploit an arid environment and eat fibrous roots as their main diet.
- Thatch is a layer of fibrous material, which if it becomes too deep, prevents proper drainage of rain.
- The larger plaques tend to be stable, noninflamed and covered with a thick fibrous cap.
- The root framework supports a large number of fibrous roots which, by their continuing growth, comb the soil for minerals and water.
- The fibrous protein is produced by keratinocytes found in the body in two forms, hard and soft.
- In the rural areas, the fibrous roots of this tree are used for making painting brushes, used for white washing.
- Often known as giant reed, its fleshy, fibrous roots penetrate deeply into the soil.
- The chipboard uses the cucumber plant's strong fibrous strands to create a dense and durable material held together with resin.
- Incorporation of harder or more fibrous material in the diet could provoke such a need.
- Collagen is a large, fibrous protein that keeps your skin supple and elastic.
- Peel the outer layers from the lemon grass stalks and finely chop the lower white bulbous parts, discarding the fibrous tops.
- Your chilli's bite comes from the white fibrous membranes that contain a substance called capsaicin.
- Now all the seeds have finished, they've moved on to the roots of the palm tree, boiling the white fibrous bundle to make a broth to drink.
- Trim off the small, fibrous roots and put the trimmed sections into pots filled with cuttings compost so the tops are just buried.
- Since fibrous food is difficult to eat due to lack of teeth there is a tendency by the aged to opt for softer, non-fibrous food.
- The palm oil and peanut used to marinate the leaves provide a nice touch without overpowering the fibrous greens.
- In this case compost is made with a mix of ground up corn cobs and mud press, a fibrous waste product from the local sugar refinery.
- Some of the material was in a fibrous state, making inhalation more likely.
- In fact you could make paper from all kinds of fibrous material, including elephant and rhino dung.
- The 400 square metre plot will be harvested in a month and the fibrous stalks tested for nutrient levels.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.