In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Botánica hoja de higuera femeninoArte hoja de parra femenino
- This was not the mythical Pan, half-man and half-goat, but a mature human male whose nudity was compromised only by the prominent fig leaf covering his genitals.
- The play on mold and casting was built into the Female Fig Leaf itself, for it could be viewed either as a mold to make castings that reveal a female's private parts or as a casting to be used as a fig leaf to conceal a female's private parts.
- I can see the appeal of the fig leaf for Adam and Eve, when choosing a leaf as an outfit.
- It's a fig leaf - so tiny that it simply attracts attention to the problem rather than doing anything to solve it.
- This is merely a fig leaf to cover up its ruthless attempts to preserve the ability to extract huge profits from those artists.
- More sympathetic observers like Peter Kolb suggested that as a natural fig leaf it modestly concealed the female genitals.
- Authoritarianism, barely concealed under the fig leaf of ‘democracy’, became its watchword.
- But that was a mere fig leaf of plausible denial.
- The young woman, whose speech and behavior reek of defiance bordering on dementia, disapproves of the puritanism that placed a plaster fig leaf over the genitals of a statue of God.
- David Suzuki, the environmentalist who stripped down to a fig leaf to promote his television show, tells natives they should not build casinos to make money and encourages them to stick to traditional activities like carving coffins.
- Wearing just a fig leaf and a pair of tights to hide his modesty, Brian put on his special one-man show to help make up for the disappointment club members had when their outing to Abbey House Gardens, near Malmesbury, was hit by rain.
- They are a political fig leaf to cover the government's embarrassment over that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.