In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The home side can insist all they like that Durban was an ‘even’ match, but the fact is that had England managed to win, as they certainly deserved to, it would have represented one of the greatest fightbacks in Test history.
- However, the last two seasons have seen Windermere's second team develop a strong team ethos that enables them to stage dramatic fightbacks.
- The Czechs' confidence must be sky high following their fightbacks.
- To be brutally honest, if England weren't able to muster a fightback in this match then they should be forever branded as the worst to tour.
- His monthly press conference the following day was identified as the ideal opportunity to begin the fightback.
- It would have been easy for York to totally capitulate but they showed great spirit to launch a determined fightback.
- For the Scottish Conservatives this election is not just about winning, it is a fightback from political extinction.
- But I knew I had to hang on for another lap because it would have been a disaster to lose after such a great fightback.
- The charismatic global politician is still revered as a standard bearer in the fightback against the domination of the right.
- Pre-match and at half-time the air was filled with radio re-runs of derby commentaries, where last gasp winners and never-say-die fightbacks seem to have become part and parcel of the Tynecastle package.
- But hopes of a fightback were soon extinguished and City hit two quick goals.
- At that point, the inevitability of a fightback seemed to wane.
- It was a sad end to what had been a fine game but wouldn't have concerned York unduly after their fantastic fightback.
- The war between Charles and public opinion will go on, whatever the outcome, but already the fightback has started.
- A teenager from a North Yorkshire village has staged a remarkable fightback from an accident which almost killed him.
- His achievements represented an amazing fightback from an incident which could have been expected to claim his life.
- Labour's hall these days is full of normal-looking types, but the Tory fightback to normality has barely begun.
- Still, barring a catastrophic fightback, the carnage may end soon.
- However, in the seventh innings the Richmond Flames started their fightback.
- But this time it was a home player that came from behind as Derek Barker squeezed home with a battling fightback.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.