In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(digit)cifra femeninoguarismo masculino formalnúmero masculinoa three-figure number — un número de tres cifras
- add together this column of figures — suma esta columna de números
- inflation is now into double figures — la inflación pasa del 10%
- her salary is well into six figures — gana bastante más de 100.000 (dólares)
- Lucian drew a sideways figure 8 in the air beside Mark.
- Millar is preparing for the opening time trial wearing a number that ends with a figure 1.
1.2(amount, price)cifra femeninoI had a rather higher figure in mind — yo había pensado en una cifra / cantidad algo mayor
- they were unable to put a figure on the number of wounded — no pudieron dar el número exacto de heridos
- I wouldn't like to put a figure on it — no quisiera darle una cifra exacta
- she's good at figures — se le dan bien los números
- recent figures show that ... — estadísticas / datos recientes muestran que ...
- In the 18 months since the meters were introduced, they had not even managed to bring in half of the break-even figure of about £4,500.
- Within the letter, the figure of ‘$500,000 a year’ is noted repeatedly.
- The gross for the final session was up 14.2% over last year's figure of $1,160,500.
2.1(person)figura femeninoa public figure — un personaje público
- he's looking for a mother figure — está buscando una figura materna
- he's become a figure of fun — se ha convertido en un hazmerreír
- As Stefansson made his way across the ice and snow, he saw figures in the distance approaching him.
- There was no one nearby but she saw figures running in the distance.
- I saw a figure in the distance walking with a pronounced limp.
- Occasionally, we spot a lone figure emerging on the horizon.
- A dark figure emerged from one side of the street and another from the other side.
- As she rode out of the woods she noticed a lone figure sitting on the white fence near the stable.
- By the time the dust died down, they were but four figures on the distant horizon.
- Through the blur of the falling rain, Tracy notices a hooded figure dressed in black.
- She squinted suddenly at what appeared to be two figures in the distance.
- In an answer to her question, Rena saw a cloaked figure standing before her.
- As Dan turned, the slim figure hurled him bodily against the far wall.
- She screamed even louder when the door suddenly opened and a dark figure suddenly appeared.
- The three survivors stood in silence as a lone figure appeared in the dark shadows of the doorway.
- The streets were dark and all but deserted; we only saw two figures off in the distance in the dim streets.
- Elizabeth looked up and past Jesse, seeing a tall dark figure appear from the elevator.
- Derick looked up to see a shadowy, cloaked figure.
- Mark's heart was pounding as a hooded figure appeared in front of him.
- A shadowy, hooded figure emerged from the forest and approached me.
- When I did awake I noticed a shadowy figure standing over me.
- Bryony spotted the lone figure emerging from the water, the current lapping at his body.
2.2(human shape, outline)figura femeninohe cuts an imposing figure — tiene mucha presencia
- she's a fine figure of a woman — es una mujer de buena planta
- The pants really flattered her figure.
- It's good mentally because you have to be alert the whole time and it's great physically because it really keeps your figure in trim.
- It may seem obvious, but when the human figure is portrayed in art, it is either clothed or naked.
- She will be proud to show her figure as she will pose in sexy lingerie of her choice.
- He couldn't sleep at night, only thinking of her slim and attractive figure with a good-natured mind.
- For artists, the beauty and complexity of the human figure is the prime impetus for painting it.
- At 82, he remains a tall, dashing figure and a serious charmer.
- She looks ravishing, with an hourglass figure that is beyond comprehension.
- The girls were fashionably attired but not overdressed, with attractive figures and lovely faces.
- Amy's figure was very slim, with long legs, arms, and a slender neck.
- Sally can offer advice on colours and what shapes suit your figure.
- She does not dress scantily when exercising, even though she has an attractive figure.
2.3(body shape)figura femeninotipo masculinoshe's got a very good figure — tiene una figura estupenda / un tipo estupendo
- they sell clothes for the fuller figure — venden ropa en talles grandes
- to keep/lose/watch one's figure — guardar/perder/cuidar la línea
- she's lost her figure — se le ha estropeado la figura
3Arte Música figura femeninoMatemáticas figura femeninomasculino cuerpo
- The simplest way to look at it is this: actually, neither of the two larger figures shown are triangles.
- Small clay figures, human and animal, were modelled and placed as offerings on mountain peak sanctuaries.
- Every melodic figure had its replica, every phrase, its counterpoise in his music.
- For, in his frames, there is always the presence of figures blending into each other - forever in a rush to complement each other.
- Like Manet, Degas painted figures in the studio rather than outdoors.
- In particular he proved that the sphere was the solid figure of greatest surface area for a given volume.
- It contains twenty-eight tapestries, 118 sculpted figures and forty-one paintings.
- The figures lack the sculptural quality of those in the Asnieres painting.
- The sculptures are mainly human and animal figures, although one is based on cartoon character Shrek.
- He observed that ideas of shapes or figures, like the triangle, were ideas of things he had not invented or conjured up.
- His other sculptures are figures of saints, the Holy Virgin, Christ and of ordinary people.
- Painter John Wesley is known for his flatly painted, cartoonish canvases of figures and animals.
- Melodic figures are treated circularly, giving the piece a minimalist sound.
- But Ghirlandaio does not depict busts or statues, his figures are shown as though alive within an illusionistic setting.
- His pursuit of beauty continues to this day, as he quietly goes about his daily tasks of carving stone sculptures and casting concrete figures.
- The presence of the shadow-like figures in each of her canvases only serves as a suggestion to set her mind on capturing the movement and rhythm.
- Their textures are dominated by right-hand melodies against chordal accompaniment figures.
- The sculpture consists of two figures facing one another, the one on the left male, and the one on the right female.
- Surrealistic and abstract human figures instead dominate his oil paintings.
- His human and animal figures, reduced to mounds, slabs and tubes, possess a quiet grace.
- For 18 years, he ferried pieces of junk and debris on his bicycle to the municipal site and worked by night to shape the figures.
- Now if you thought these lines referred to geometric figures, you would not be too far wrong.
- When the broad flowing melody is allowed to return, that is eventually interrupted with a striking five note figure for muted brass.
- Those with painting skills display their talent by drawing eye-catching figures in attractive hues.
- Although Monet mostly painted nature scenes, he sometimes included human figures in his paintings.
- Warm melodic figures are juxtaposed with harsher percussive patterns, setting up some fascinating contrasts in sound.
- Odd shapes and geometric figures swam in and out of Dawn's consciousness.
- Sumida pottery is a heavy, brightly glazed pottery and often has human and animal figures attached as reliefs.
- As a child, he had sculpted small animal figures from riverbank clay.
- The modeling and outline of the figures showed sculptural solidity.
4(diagram, illustration)figura femenino
- The text is well illustrated with excellent diagrams, sketches and figures.
- Figure 1b shows the results obtained for = 0.001 with the swap step.
- Lesions are often associated with main leaf veins (Figure 2A and 2B).
- The book utilizes tables and figures effectively to illustrate the main concepts of each chapter.
- The data from each plate were then graphed and analyzed (Figure 1A).
1(feature)figurarhis name doesn't figure on this list — su nombre no figura en esta lista
- to figure prominently — destacarse
- this theme figures largely in her work — este tema ocupa un lugar prominente en su obra
2coloquial(make sense)it just doesn't figure — no me lo explico
- they're getting divorced — that figures! — se van a divorciar — ¡no me extraña nada!
1(reckon)figurarsecalcularI figure it'll take us two hours — me figuro que / digo yo / calculo que tardaremos dos horas
- she figured it was her only chance — calculó que era su única oportunidad
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.