In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1película o serie de filminas para proyección fija
- The tributes are made of colorful filmstrips that have adhesive on the back.
- Gone from the center are the 16 mm film projectors, filmstrip projectors and all but one video editing machine of yesteryear.
- Recalling the filmstrips from grade school that ‘beeped’ every time the frame needed advancing, this is a witty bit of retro throwback that's clever and cutting at the same time.
- Each year, I begin the study of Asian painting with a sound filmstrip that outlines basics such as its origins and history, styles, subject matter and materials.
- One set of illustrations was used initially in conjunction with a CBC film project; later, additional images were created for a filmstrip.
- Now cast adrift from their former contexts, these filmstrips still manage to reveal the disarming forcefulness of America's once official culture, with its ubiquitously familiar, authoritarian and paternalistic voice-overs.
- In one grouping, each original image appears to be repeated in a three-frame series still bordered by the telltale edging of the 8mm filmstrip.
- The film is heavily filtered in post-production to give it an aged, scratched, and worn appearance, like an old filmstrip on its last legs.
- To illustrate this point Laura Mulvey showed a filmstrip from a 1929 film.
- Simplicity of use is another plus here because its just a matter of popping in a filmstrip of a mounted slide into the film frame, which you're able to see being scanned in the proprietary lighting viewing window.
- In the government class, we watched a lot of filmstrips and movies.
- It's pretty old, with every visual flaw and audio glitch imaginable - think of those strange educational filmstrips you had to watch in junior high, with the scratches and warbly sound, and you'll get the idea.
- An accompanying set of 12 photographic wall charts, models and a filmstrip were provided when the film was hired for showing in schools.
- They did show four filmstrips in all, but they were boring.
- I remember the day we watched the Color Filmstrip, a filmstrip about all the colors.
- Playful and informative, it is somewhat reminiscent of Disney educational filmstrips.
- This is a very strange piece of film, as it plays like a 1964 school filmstrip informing the viewer on man's senses and how he uses them.
- Sometimes you realize what's happening, but usually you don't, cause you're too blinded by the flashing lights of the filmstrip.
- Think now of a filmstrip that records an erratic distribution of the balls on a pool table, and then shows the balls contracting into a regular triangle.
- Remarkable, too, are the long, narrow proportions of the painting, resembling a filmstrip that we scan from left to right, slowly perusing each of three vignettes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.