In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A picture framer who set up his own business in Broadway has been named a finalist in a national competition for the third year running.
- More and more, this team looks capable of becoming a conference finalist.
- Each of the finalists in the dance competition won a pair of cinema tickets and a goody bag.
- The other finalists, should England make it to the World Cup will be either Spain or Germany.
- She will almost certainly make England's team for Manchester 2002 and is a potential finalist.
- Another look at the past winners and finalists of the Champions League shows that the system does indeed seem to work.
- The six finalists are design graduates and are creating gardens based on design concepts for city gardens.
- A Rhodes Scholarship finalist, she will pursue a Ph.D. in Near Eastern studies at Berkeley.
- He takes man and dog to a local show where, to his delight, they win the breed class and are finalists in Best In Show.
- First questions came from former Olympic champion and defeated finalist - US swimmer Janet Evans.
- He is a finalist for the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.
- It was far from the preserve of the independently educated - and two finalists go to state schools.
- Mr Shepherd has been a Student of the Year finalist for the past three years,
- In a Canadian university, a male and a female candidate were finalists for a tenurable position in philosophy.
- The three will include both finalists and the winner of the qualifying final.
- Wake Forest, the other finalist in the players' recruitment, followed the same approach.
- None of which is meant to diminish the achievements of the two finalists.
- Nominations were made by their teachers and the finalists will be judged by the trustees of the fund.
- The 40 finalists were divided into teams and they were given various challenges.
- Thankfully things got better as the worst of the finalists were gradually sent packing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.