In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- We do know that when you cross the finish line in a race first, you're the best person in that race.
- Points were awarded to the first four riders crossing the finish line at each points lap.
- At this point we only hoped that we would cross the finish line before lurching to a complete stop.
- The only time I enjoy it is when I cross the finish line first on a Sunday.
- Three men from Chippenham raced through the finish line at the New York Marathon, achieving a life long dream.
- His objective was to complete the race and reach the finish line, and he did.
- It's like running a hundred yard dash and getting knocked down by the tape at the finish line.
- When I crossed the finish line today I knew it had been a great team effort.
- I am very pleased to have crossed the finish line on my home circuit in front of the celebrating mechanics.
- However, his impressive performance during the race saw him cross the finish line in 4th.
- When an elated Oxford crew crossed the finish line, Cambridge were two lengths behind.
- Her efforts have been slightly marred by a hip injury but she's still determined to cross the finish line in good time.
- But almost all of the 38 boats that started the race sailed past the finish line.
- Muscles tensed and eyes peeled, they push off for another dash and cross the finish line.
- He heard the bell ring for the last 200m, kicked, and slowed to a jog after crossing the finish line in first.
- Two cyclists race head-to-head, playing a waiting game, with the first to cross the finish line the winner.
- It's a matter of mind over body, the drive to cross the finish line at all costs.
- We all want to be the one to cross the finish line with our arms thrown high in victory.
- Points are awarded to the winner based on how much further ahead he was at the cross of the finish line.
- After I crossed the finish line, I phoned my wife to tell her I had finished in one piece.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.