In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They have also grown juniper shrubs and maple, fir and pine trees.
- Conifers are seed plants; they include pines, firs, yew, redwood, and many other large trees.
- These include unusual species such as Scots pine and Lodgepole pine, and Douglas fir and Cork fir.
- As firs, redwoods, and oaks matured in her Hillsboro, Oregon, landscape, she started sculpting her many perennial beds.
- I've had my share of disasters from grasshoppers, including having the bark on my young evergreen firs eaten when there was still lots of other forage.
- It was a wilderness of cathedral-like redwoods, of ferns and huckleberries, oaks and stately firs, and a myriad of flowers and wildlife.
- For spruces, firs and Douglas-fir, three or more years are usually needed to produce high quality planting stock.
- The vista beyond was dotted with leafless trees and throngs of firs and pine.
- The high mountains support typical evergreen forests of firs and cypress, whilst on the lower slopes are to be found such trees as pines, chestnuts, and cork oak.
- Since the 1860s the Norway spruce has been the traditional tree, but now firs, less prone to needle-drop, have become fashionable.
- As we approach Aberdeen the sun comes out - blue sky, white waves, yellow gorse, green firs and fields.
- Vast tombs, embowered beneath the weeping willow and the fir tree, told of the antiquities of the Lloyd family, as well as of their wealth.
- Here and there, clumps of fir and birch trees rise out of the muddy wastes.
- If you were stranded in the woods during a storm, you would be a bit safer standing under a tree with large flat leaves like oak, than you would under a fir or pine tree.
- The woodland grant scheme was introduced in 1988 to encourage landowners to switch from planting commercial plantations of foreign firs, such as Sitka spruce, to a mix of native pine and broadleaf.
- While we don't have tall trees, our neighbors do, and the firs and oaks that surround our property drop acorns and provide homes for jays, woodpeckers, robins and sparrows.
- Nests are usually built in deciduous trees, such as aspen, alder, cottonwood, or willow, but they may also be in firs or other conifers.
- At 2,100m is the Pilu Sacred Tree, a massive fir that is thousands of years old.
- As you ascend its mountains, you travel through rich forests of oak, juniper, and cypress in the canyons, and on the higher slopes, you'll see pines, firs, and aspens.
- Spruces, firs and Douglas-fir can be sheared with good results from late July or early August and continuing until just before new growth starts the following spring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.