In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pastilla que facilita el encendido del fuego de leña o carbón
- Made from environmentally friendly compounds such as sawdust, wood chips, newsprint, and paraffin, solid fire starters are safe, portable, and easy to ignite.
- It was pocked with wartlike clumps of sap, and he walked over and began pulling them off, balling them up, and nestling the natural fire starter in the kindling.
- Only use approved fire starters - never gasoline or paint thinner, for example.
- Newspaper was twisted into ‘spills' and used to light pipes or cigarettes or to make fire starters.
- It has stashes of things that you might need - a fire blanket, a fire starter.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.