In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1encargado de la vigilancia contra incendios masculinoencargada de la vigilancia contra incendios femenino
- He worked as a volunteer fire warden in London during the Blitz, on his evenings off work.
- Staff designated as fire wardens gathered at the preschool to evacuate the children to the basement.
- A new safety committee has also been formed and the company has agreed to provide training for safety officers and fire wardens.
- The fire warden may direct occupants to the nearest exit, instruct them to shut their doors or turn off equipment.
- Within minutes, they headed to the closest stairwell, led by Brian Clark, a fire warden on the 84th floor, who had his flashlight and whistle.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.