In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1incendiario masculinoincendiaria femeninopirómano masculinopirómana femenino
- Firefighters called to the incidents yesterday said the irresponsible actions of firebugs caused a huge grassland blaze close to a supermarket and almost caused a serious factory fire on an industrial estate.
- The project will see a special crew, armed with a truck, hunting down and carting away piles of rubbish before firebugs can strike.
- A Burnley resident is living in fear of her house going up in smoke after firebugs targeted neighbouring derelict properties.
- Young firebugs twice set fire to a one tonne bale of hay close to homes in Heysham.
- Young firebugs are being shown the error of their ways - by learning how to be firefighters.
- While adult offenders would face prison terms of up to 14 years, young firebugs would be made to confront burns victims and families who lost homes.
- He blamed it all on firebugs and said heavier jail sentences were needed for arsonists.
- Police have set up a special task force to combat the activities of teenage firebugs believed to be behind a spate of arson attacks in Chippenham.
- Youngsters are facing a summer without a youth club after firebugs torched a sports pavilion, destroying its sports equipment.
- A city-wide search last night failed to locate the fugitive firebug, and police fear that he may strike again.
- The police were then notified and, with minimal interrogation, the alleged firebug confessed to the gamut of crimes he was accused of.
- A young boy's carefully nurtured flowerbeds went up in smoke this week when firebugs set light to allotments and destroyed everything in their midst.
- An arson reduction team based at Nelson Street in Bradford already works to stamp out firebugs who target schools.
- An arson attack victim has spoken of her fear after finding that firebugs had set fire to her front door.
- Fire crews were called to the home in the early hours after it is believed firebugs entered the basement and started the inferno.
- Foolish firebugs who torched piles of rubbish across York early today have been accused of endangering lives.
- Fire chiefs today vowed to tackle school arsonists after new figures revealed firebugs were behind hundreds of fires costing more than £7m.
- Eleven arson attacks were launched over the weekend when firebugs set light to rubbish next to residents' homes across Morecambe.
- Wasteland which has turned into a regular target for firebugs has been lit again - three times in two-and-a-half hours.
- A derelict social club plagued by firebugs could soon be demolished.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.