In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1the first fruits of our efforts — los primeros frutos de nuestros esfuerzos
- Juliet Fleming's richly suggestive study of Graffiti and the Writing Arts of Early Modern England was one of the first fruits of that initiative; Books and Readers in Early Modern England is another.
- Having received the first fruits of their salvation, they yearned for its fulfillment.
- Her impressive indoor season suggested the first fruits of a new training regime.
- The engravings of Adam and Eve and the Nativity, both of 1504, are the first fruits of these investigations.
- The season presents the first fruits of the new writers-in-residence programme, with four new plays - including two specially commissioned for the Finborough Theatre.
- Supporters of the tax cut insist that the rebates are just the first fruits of a program to send money back to the people who know better how to spend it than do the folks in Washington.
- This paper presents the first fruits of a very ambitious project to map gene expression onto the anatomy of the mouse brain.
- These will be the first US troops to march on to former Soviet soil since the end of the Second World War and they represent the first fruits of the diplomatic initiative to bring Russia into Washington's orbit.
- The movement began in the eighteenth century, but its first fruits were only reaped in the nineteenth century in the movement that became known as the arithmetization of analysis.
- The first fruits of the movement were witnessed in the village of Connor.
- It's all about taking a break, assessing your situation, and reaping the first fruits of your hard work.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.