In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1persona declarada culpable de un delito por primera vez
- I understand that a first offender these days on minor charges does not get convicted.
- At the other end of the scale is the first offender, where the motivation for the offence is clear and does not point to a likelihood of re-offending.
- The Court of Appeal has said that a very firm line must be taken with young men, even first offenders, who engage in street robberies.
- It appears he was then before the court as a first offender.
- Many of the young offenders who are let out are not first offenders.
- The second thing is that we are going to deal compassionately with young first offenders, but we will reduce the age of criminal responsibility from 14 years to 12.
- In 1992, when he was sentenced, the prevailing policy dictated that first offenders receive an automatic remission of one-third of their sentence.
- Most of the victims are young, nonviolent male inmates, many of them teenaged first offenders.
- Over 400 first offenders have been processed through an alternative community service agency and have avoided a criminal record.
- All ‘taking without consent’ offences are dealt with by magistrates who work within national sentencing guidelines which suggest community punishments for first offenders.
- He says there were occasionally sexual assaults on inmates, many of whom were frightened ‘country boys’, first offenders or illegal immigrants.
- Data from 1990 indicated almost half of federally sentenced women were not repeat offenders, with 41% being first offenders without any prior criminal record.
- As a first offender, however, he is likely to receive a sentence on the low end of that range.
- He came before the court as a first offender and a person who presumably had no anti-social behaviour in his past…
- Of course, the public too has to be protected and serious crime must continue to be punished with custodial sentences, but young first offenders will be better served by being forced to re-examine their attitudes.
- The Act prescribes a minimum sentence of 15 years for first offenders, unless there are substantial and compelling circumstances.
- From the later nineteenth century alternative punishments were possible, especially for first offenders who might be placed on probation to test their capacity for reform.
- But first offenders are likely to receive just a warning.
- Under new laws, failure to produce details of business ownership or of a customer's cancellation notice would lead to prosecution for first offenders.
- Lenient punishments for first offenders have long been advocated on the theory that this might have been just a temporary lapse from good behavior, and that the person should be given a second chance.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.