In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You may be genius but what weirdo has fish fingers in a pie?
- We've got degrees in computer gaming, gender studies and golf-course management, so degrees in potty training and the nutritional content of the fish finger are not exactly breaking new ground.
- And claims that Joy eats raw burgers and fish fingers straight from the freezer are absolute rubbish, according to her mother.
- Alternatively, once skate is lightly poached, you can ease it from the bones, dip in egg and polenta or breadcrumbs then shallow fry to make an unusually tasty fish finger.
- It launched a £25m advertising campaign in July aimed at giving the battered fish finger a healthier image.
- My other recipe is for real fish fingers, or ‘goujons’ as they say in France.
- That will go a long way towards helping to pay quite a lot of mortgages, not to mention buying burgers and fish fingers for the kids.
- It's several pages thick, with easily a couple of hundred choices that range from elegant-sounding entrées for the evening to good bar standards like Irish beer, fish fingers and crinkled French fries.
- ‘If the children want fish fingers or burgers, then the chef should make them,’ he declared.
- I had the remainder of my kid's supper: old bits of fish finger, chips, and, later, half a panetonne with tea.
- He has also written some excellent verse, of which one of his previous collections gave us a perfect sonnet to a fish finger.
- Children who refuse to eat foods that are good for them - and instead demand fish fingers, plain pasta or mashed potato - can be difficult and frustrating to deal with, not to mention worrying.
- While everyone else was into fish fingers, our mother liked proper food.
- Burgers, fish fingers and sausages are just as tasty when grilled, but have a lower fat content.
- It's far easier for me to do that than to cook fish fingers.
- Are we doing irreversible harm by giving our children fish fingers for tea?
- I ate 72 kilos of fish (not counting 40 fish fingers and 472 pieces of sushi) which is only slightly less than the average polar bear.
- The normal school menu, which offers meals such as spaghetti bolognese, chips and fish fingers, will be served in conjunction with the new menu during a six-week trial period.
- There was a range of children's dishes available, including burgers, fish fingers and sausages.
- He got some fish fingers and I splashed out on some Tartare sauce.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.