In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(en presas, cascadas etc) escala de peces femenino
- City officials proposed using the revenue to cover the cost of removing 620 miles of road, building fish ladders, and other environmental protections.
- A fish ladder was built into the 29-foot-high dam.
- Dams prevent upstream migration of adult salmon, but this can be overcome to some extent by the construction of fish ladders in which the salmon jump up a long series of waterfalls.
- With farmers' cooperation, fish ladders were improved, five dams were removed entirely, and alternate water sources were found for some irrigators.
- We also have constructed fish ladders and we developed quite a few parks for the public to come and see, and learn about the potential of the river restoration.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.