In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Other dishes ranged from salmon fishcakes and steak, to red mullet and Spring risotto.
- This was the first time Ann could remember fishcakes in batter.
- Crabmeat is great in pasta dishes, fishcakes and soups.
- Freia, a trained chef, also makes delicious food like fishcakes.
- Teamed with potatoes it makes excellent fishcakes, a lovely soup or a warming supper dish.
- One used to get very simple things such as meat pies and fishcakes and things of that kind.
- Is there not more scope for dishes like fishcakes and seafood stews where fish is thriftily combined with cheap decent ingredients?
- It is this basic shape that lies behind the transference of the name to other, completely different foods, such as fishcakes, pancakes, and potato cakes.
- I chose the Thai fishcakes and mango salad, which were delicious and had a great chilli kick.
- A long-time fan of this particular culinary partnership, I had a go at making light, crisp, potato-free fishcakes and putting them on the table with a jar of the dill and mustard sauce.
- I've tried making her fishcakes, and grand they were.
- For example the Thai fishcakes are medallions of sole and prawn mousse, blended in red curry paste with cucumber dressing.
- He came back with chips, a fishcake and a battered sausage.
- One little girl said she didn't like tuna but when we made tuna fishcakes I persuaded her to try it and she ended up loving it.
- His recipes - such as chicken pie, fishcakes and pavlova - really work well and the book is perfect for Christmas stockings.
- I make these little golden fishcakes as a change from the more traditional haddock version, usually in the winter when smoky flavours seem particularly appropriate.
- I started off with the Thai fishcakes with sweet chilli sauce, and was very pleasantly surprised.
- To date they have made paella, pasta bake, and fishcakes.
- I've put together a dish of salmon fishcakes, but brought in some Scandinavian flavours that marry well with smoked fish.
- The lunch menu is fishy and wholesome: crab soup, crab and Gruyère tartlet, crispy salmon and dill fishcakes are popular.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.