In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- So why, when my family is all together, do we talk about the time my sister and I had a fist fight on the front lawn, or any other moment that will dredge up bad memories?
- He later told police: ‘I didn't want to hurt him or get involved in a fist fight because he is only a youth and I am an adult.’
- He reminded me of an argumentative drunk who challenges the whole bar to a fist fight.
- He wanted to go out in the hall and have a fist fight.
- She can fight with a gun but she is worthless in a fist fight.
- If there's only two of you, all you can do is pull the car over and have a fist fight on the side of the road.
- The fist fight was only the finale of the on-stage war that had been brewing for the first hour of their set.
- The group became involved in a verbal altercation with another group of younger males and a fist fight ensued.
- Two commission members had to be separated to prevent a fist fight.
- Fans besiege his house daily, while he is regularly accosted by members of the public seeking anything from an autograph to a fist fight.
- Then later the same day the bully was involved in a fist fight over the same issue with another board member, thus giving a whole new meaning to the terminology ‘selection fight’!
- For instance, if it was a mistake he'd made delivering a speech, he'd buy a book on public speaking, or in the case of a fist fight, he might consider a book on self-defense.
- South Yorkshire Police were called to Lowedges Road, near an entrance to the estate, just before 4pm on Thursday after initial reports suggested there had been a fist fight at a bus stop.
- The last time he was in a full-on fist fight, he was still at school.
- I don't get in many fights but 3 days for a fist fight isn't right.
- Then the two groups of party workers got into a fist fight, throwing things at each other, and the police were called in.
- The film appeared to show the naked man being forced to take part in a fist fight.
- Have you ever been in a fist fight or a situation where you had to get physically violent with someone else?
- He also had convictions for burglary, theft and actual bodily harm, had been in a fist fight in a pub after a funeral, and had hit a victim on the head with a piece of wood during a street fight.
- Half of those aged between 16 and 24 also claimed to have had a fist fight in the past 12 months.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.