In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(cupboard) empotrado(shelves) hecho a medida(sheet) ajustable(sheet) de cuatro picos(sheet) de cajón Méxicofitted carpet — alfombra de pared a pared femenino
- Her dress was simple, with a fitted bodice and short jacket with bell sleeves.
- Even if you have a fitted boat cover, consider adding a tarp over it to protect the cover from bird droppings or other damage.
- There's plenty of space for luggage under the beds and in the fitted wardrobe where, ominous but comforting, you'll also find two lifejackets.
- She let her feet slip out of her shoes and raised them onto the fitted bench across the other side of the table.
- Bed-making takes no time with fitted sheets.
- They wore cornflower blue strapless fitted bodices with fishtail shaped skirts and carried hand-tied bouquets of white carnations and pale blue freesia.
- The house is full of fitted cupboards.
- Upstairs the first bedroom includes fitted wardrobes, a window seat with storage space and a wooden floor.
- Then place the fitted sheet back on the mattress.
- The kitchen/breakfast room has an extensive range of pine units, as well as a fitted desk and bench and an integrated hob and oven.
- The bride wore an ivory dress with fitted bodice and straps covered in tiny cream and peach roses and a small trail.
- The end wall here is lined with fitted wardrobe and clothes storage.
- The sheets had all fallen off the bed and even the fitted sheet was coming off.
- If that doesn't ease your pain, try a fitted cushioned seat cover (found in cycling shops and sporting goods stores).
- The dashboard is decorated in purple velour and gold braid, protected from dust by a fitted polythene cover.
- These patients also received a fitted incontinence cover.
- There is a spacious bathroom on the return, with part-panelled walls, a claw-foot bath and wall-to-wall fitted closets.
- For 10 bucks extra you could even throw in a fitted sheet.
- A fitted washable cover is supplied as a standard accessory and protects the fabric covering the seating area.
- The bedrooms were graced with new fitted beds with integrated luggage areas, and directly behind the access door were separate toilets and showers with tiled surrounds.
- Beyond this, the entrance hall features a cloakroom, a fitted bookcase, shelving and a cleverly concealed broom cupboard.
- There are also two double bedrooms, both with fitted wardrobes and one with an impressive carved oak fireplace, and French doors to the garden.
- The two bedrooms are doubles with fitted wardrobes.
- It comprises four rooms, two of which feature wash hand basins and fitted wardrobes, a guest bathroom and a storage area.
- The guest bedroom with a deep, recessed window to the front also benefits from en suite facilities and a fitted wardrobe.
- It was pure white, with a fitted bodice that flared gently outwards to form the dress.
- No raincoat would really be complete without a nice set of fitted boots to cover the feet of your furry friends!
- There is also a fitted wardrobe, study desk, and a broadband internet access point in every bedroom.
- They could decide where the windows went, and where the fitted cupboards would go - and what kind of furnishings and fittings their new home came with.
- The base pin, which seems to be more closely fitted than on earlier examples, showed no tendency to walk forward under recoil.
- All three have built-in wardrobes, while one of the doubles also has a fitted desk.
- I use a fitted sheet because I sleep on a twin futon and the mattress is in two pieces.
- It needs to be revealed that this elegant bedroom is almost lined with fitted wardrobes.
- Trembling, she pushed back the covers and found a fitted, but flowing, white gown hung on her thin frame.
- Upstairs, there are three double guest bedrooms and a blue and white bathroom with fitted furniture and a large corner shower cabinet.
- The good sized double has a fireplace and, while there is no fitted storage, there is plenty of space to rectify this.
- It had a fitted bodice with small, off-the-shoulder sleeves.
- The bride wore an ivory gown with a fitted diamanté detailed bodice, a full skirt and train, waist-length veil and diamante tiara.
- The first room on the left is a long, walk-in cloakroom with fitted shelves and plenty of hanging space.
- ‘Cloth diapers come in contoured, prefolded and fitted varieties,’ she says.
1.2(kitchen) integral(kitchen) con armarios empotrados
- Just off the living room is a fitted kitchen with shaker style units at floor and eye level.
- Each house will come with a fitted kitchen with custom-built units and chrome handles.
- The ground floor has recently been refurbished to provide new fully fitted kitchens, cold rooms and freezers.
- The kitchen area is fully fitted, with breakfast counter, and has utility with bathroom and electric shower off.
- It is a four-bedroom, three bathroom property with spacious rooms and a fitted kitchen.
- On the production line every last detail is included in the modules - built-in storage space, a fitted kitchen and a bathroom complete down to taps and tiling.
- The units will include fully fitted kitchens with electrical appliances, air conditioning, marble floors and an underground parking space.
- Standard features include fitted kitchens with Italian floor and wall tiles, fully tiled bathrooms and video security systems.
- All of the two and three bedroom units will have en suites while all of the apartments will feature fitted kitchens with ceramic floor tiling and integrated appliances.
- All units come with fully fitted kitchens and gas-fired central heating.
- Now derelict, the stone property has planning permission to be restored as a four-bedroom home, with one bathroom, two sitting rooms, a dining room and a fitted kitchen.
2(suited, qualified)to be fitted for sth — estar capacitado para algo
- she is well fitted for this job — reúne las cualidades necesarias para este trabajo
- to be fitted to + inf — ser el más adecuado para + inf
- I'm not really fitted to criticize — en realidad yo no soy quién para criticar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.