In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He abhorred the idea of wasting valuable retail space on fitting rooms but recognised that if a shop had nowhere to try on clothes, customers would have to do so at home.
- I headed to the fitting room and began trying on the clothes.
- I slunk into the fitting room wishing I'd devoted the morning to cleaning the bathroom, or learning to crochet.
- I took the dress from him and went into one of the fitting rooms.
- There is absolutely no heat in the fitting rooms.
- ‘Thanks,’ I said, and stepped back into the fitting room to change back into my normal clothes.
- Jordan disappeared back into the fitting room and put back on her regular clothes.
- I had a cart full of clothes and was waiting for a fitting room to become available.
- They entered a small hallway that led to individual fitting rooms.
- I wandered around, made my choice and disappeared into the small chamber of horrors known as the fitting room.
- Hurriedly, I left the fitting rooms, and walked to the other side of the department store, and grabbed my cell phone out of my back pocket.
- Eventually, I find myself in the fitting rooms.
- Between forays to the fitting rooms, customers can relax on the store's large, comfortable sofas and contemplate purchases as they sip the complimentary refreshments or search magazines for inspiration.
- ‘The fitting rooms are right over there’ she said, pointing to a room in the back of the store.
- ‘I don't know,’ Justine rubbed her chin as I came out from the fitting room with my regular clothes on.
- ‘Okay,’ I said hesitantly, walking into of the fitting rooms.
- I go into the fitting rooms and start to try on the jackets.
- She said women were going into a small foyer next to the fitting rooms to give their men's clothes the once-over, but that some strayed into the actual changing room area.
- Taylor walked down the halls and to the fitting room where Rochelle was just finishing up another girl, who had a ripped seam.
- The space is flooded with natural light from a very large storefront window, and the fitting rooms are spacious and draped with dramatic burgundy velvet curtains.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.