In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In the former case a tactical operation may defend submarines deployed deep inside bays, fiords or inner seas.
- Stephens explores the hidden valleys, fjords and ice caps, often spending time with the native Inuit people - and all the time taking photos.
- Every corner turned reveals an amazing vista of high cliffs, waterfalls and inland lochs or fjords.
- This is a huge advantage of fishing the Baltic: there are so many bays and inlets and fjords that many, many of them have never seen an angler in recent history.
- This strait abounds with fjords, islands and estuaries.
- Shore trips aboard inflatables will provide a closeup view of fjords and cliffs with abundant sea life, penguins, birds and dramatic cliffs.
- Surrounded by mountains, the ancient city of Bergen is described as the gateway to Norway's fjords.
- The shore is a ragged line of cliffs and deep fjords.
- The area is made up of 14 long, narrow and incredibly deep fjords formed by massive glaciers thousands of years ago.
- From a map you might think the place was swarming with fjords, but a real fjord is a deep U-shaped glacial valley that has become flooded.
- If you look at a map of the west coast of Norway, the first thing you'll notice is the thousands of inlets, fjords and islands.
- Moving glaciers, deep fjords, and large lakes are characteristic of South Island.
- We will apply Eskimo lotions culled from the gall bladders of unpronounceable fish that live in the deep fjords off Norway and go on weekend nature trips to the volcanic pools of Iceland.
- These bays have been compared to the fjords of Norway.
- Glaciers from this great mass of ice extend through mountain valleys and ravines to reach coastline fjords at many points.
- Inspired by the success of Danish trout farmers, salmon cultivators found Norway's sheltered fjords ideal for farming salmon in ocean net pens.
- The first part of the trip explores the coast, a region of emerald rain forests, deep fjords, rich sealife, and tidewater glaciers that crumble into icy seas.
- Here is where one finds the wettest weather, tallest trees, and deepest fjords in the country.
- The coastline is long, with fjords cutting deep into the land.
- Most deglaciated areas are ice-free all year, although glaciated fjords are at least partially covered with glacial ice most of the year.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.