In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She was often biting and hitting Crystal; she was handcuffing her and flagellating her to the point of bleeding.
- Blood flows freely as Jesus Christ is flagellated by Roman soldiers and the scenes of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ are, indeed, not pleasant viewing.
- Constantly flagellating him, or yourself, is not going to create the relationship of love you want to be in.
- If ever he forgets to pray one night, the next morning he is sure to punish himself appropriately by flagellating himself for one hour for every consecutive night that he missed.
- Henry showed his sorrow for Becket's death by having him-self flagellated by 70 monks in Canterbury cathedral.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.