In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masa tipo hojaldre
- My dad, a steak and kidney pie connoisseur, was impressed with his dish, which consisted of thick chunks of beef in a sea of gravy, covered with a layer of flaky pastry.
- The chocolate butter tart is outstanding, with flaky pastry, a rich filling and lots of pecans.
- I had to try one from several bakeries, since it's once of my favorite desserts: layers of flaky pastry baked with plenty of salted butter and sugar, until it's all dark, crisp, and caramelized.
- Modern Banbury cakes are small and oval, made of light flaky pastry with a crisp top achieved by a powdering of sugar before baking.
- There were rather nice samosas too, crisp flaky pastry stuffed with coarse-minced but tender lamb, potato cubes and peas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.