In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A process might be hazardous if it involves flammable or combustible materials.
- Whatever we did, we always did it with a bottle of something flammable, fires made a good end to the day.
- The bonfire will last only as long as supply of cards, flowers and other flammable material is available, so get there early!
- This is because polystyrene is a flammable material that gives off a toxic black smoke in the event of a fire.
- As you well know, there are some kinds of this material that are highly flammable.
- In some places, a smoking ban is justified for safety reasons such as in confined spaces or where flammable material is present.
- Small fires had been feeding upon flammable materials, but they were not large enough to turn on the sprinkler system.
- It is also a time to turf out unwanted, though preferably easily flammable, things from around the house and to chuck them onto the bonfire.
- It is a highly flammable and unstable compound, with a life of between thirty and eighty years.
- Kerosene is volatile, flammable and leaks very easily from containers.
- Fire chiefs are now warning homeowners not to leave lighted candles unattended and close to flammable materials.
- It's believed one of the fires was started using paraffin and other flammable materials stored in the shed.
- Against common sense and regulations, the interiors of the cars were built with flammable materials.
- On one occasion, an emergency route was blocked with flammable materials and on another, an exit was blocked by cars.
- Any warehouse or factory holding stocks of flammable material needs to be relocated to an industrial estate.
- It is thought to have been started with flammable material which caused an explosion damaging three windows.
- Assemble all the really flammable material you can find, and build the smallest fire you can.
- Standing or fallen dry weeds can be highly flammable fire hazards in late fall, winter and early spring.
- He said such incidents are common because of the flammable materials involved in the construction of thatched cottages.
- The incidents happened just hours after the fire brigade helped residents clear up the estate in the hope of removing flammable materials.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.