In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tarta femeninokuchen masculino Chile(individual) tartaleta femenino(individual) tarteleta femenino Río de la Plata
- Supplemented with some sea spinach harvested along the dunes, these went into a tasty flan I baked yesterday.
- The pastry crusts were not only as part of the dish, pies and flans would be moulded and decorated with flower heads in season.
- This version came in individual circles and although the pastry and egg mixture was good, the pastry overwhelmed the egg as the flan was too shallow.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven and bake the flan for one hour, or until the filling is puffed and golden and just jiggles in the center when you tap the pan.
- It is the classic pastry for flans and often has a little sugar, even when used for savoury dishes, but rarely egg.
- We had a lunch of tomatoes with the local soft goat's cheese, suckling pig braised with gnocchi and a flan of sweet chestnut purée with local wine for 16 euros each.
- My sister Lisa would make a cream of asparagus soup, cranberry sauce, two flans, stuffing, a chocolate-pecan tart, and of course, her Scottish scones.
- A choice of Yorkshire stand pie, roasted vegetable flan, Yorkshire cheese and oatmeal flan or roasted Yorkshire ham with salad left no doubt as to which part of the country we were in!
- Daily specials keep things lively, from a haunting goat-cheese flan to a melting confection of strawberries and coconut ice cream.
- The puddings were mainly flans, pastries and coffee gateau, which none of us really fancied, and we all went for a perfectly acceptable fruit salad alternative.
- I considered myself something of a master with pies, flans, tarts, vol-au-vents and quiches.
- The couple had lobster ravioli to start and apple flan for dessert, with coffee and mints to follow.
- Bake the flan for 25-30 minutes until the top sets and begins to lightly colour.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.