In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The heat has also triggered violent thunderstorms and flash floods in northern Britain.
- Quick downpours from summer thunderstorms can cause flash floods anywhere.
- Rapid deforestation has led to rapid soil erosion, dust storms and flash floods.
- It's hard enough to cross the desert as it is - without monsoon rains and flash floods.
- Torrential rain brought flash floods to Scarborough, leaving holidaymakers donning raincoats instead of basking in the sun.
- But Flanagan isn't discouraged by the sudden flash flood.
- Floods, especially flash floods, kill more people each year than hurricanes, tornadoes, wind storms or lightning.
- Western areas were hit by flash floods and power failures after torrential rain on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
- Much of this comes in sudden downpours in spring and autumn which sometimes cause devastating flash floods.
- After basking in hot summer sunshine, the weather broke and torrential rain and flash floods brought chaos across Greater Manchester.
- Lightning storms, flash floods, and dust storms are distinct possibilities.
- Heavy rain and flash floods on Monday brought misery to thousands across Britain, but yesterday it seemed the worst was over for Yorkshire for the time being.
- Canyons fill up very quickly after a heavy downpour, although flash floods are not that common.
- Elsewhere, firefighters battled flash floods caused by the torrential rain.
- Wiltshire was hit by flash floods on Tuesday after inches of torrential rain fell on the district.
- Record numbers of holidaymakers have jetted off to escape the torrential downpours, flash floods and tornadoes that have made this summer the wettest in almost 20 years.
- It is thought that flash floods and general flooding has been responsible for more deaths than any other climatic event.
- Long dry periods are often broken by heavy rains and flash floods.
- During the past weekend, flash floods caused by torrential rains have crippled relief work in Eastern Sri Lanka.
- Some supercells produce little rain, others, downpours that can cause flash floods.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.