In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(curtain) hasta el suelo(dress) largo (hasta los pies)
- Completing their rotations, they cast off their black cloaks, revealing white floor-length gowns beneath.
- Gilb's portrayal of the titular character is particularly striking, effortlessly balancing eroticism and repugnance in each swoop of her floor-length gown.
- Her clothes echoed her hair - she would dress in the embroidered shirts and wide floor-length skirts of the southern state of Oaxaca, and she would often paint herself in this guise.
- They're the kind of dames who can wear floor-length gowns and look completely naked.
- Georgian women wear long, floor-length gowns, with a tight bodice and long sleeves ending at the waist.
- The dress is formal, so I was wanting to buy a nice but not floor-length dress and some low-heeled shoes to wear.
- Meanwhile, in the high street, thong and push-up bra sales are heading south, while Victorian blouses and floor-length skirts are the must-haves of the autumn and winter ranges.
- She looked beyond amazing with the dirty blond, now tainted with golden blond, hair extensions in the bun with the deep pinkish red floor-length gown.
- Common to each are the voluminous floor-length robes, and long head cloths which they wrap many times around their heads to cover all but a slit for their eyes.
- A floor-length skirt cleverly references formal evening-dress codes, but it is also romantic and soft.
- Where Pimlott chose to stage Richard II in a clinical white box set and to clothe it in modern dress, Attenborough set both parts of Henry IV on a dark stage and dressed its characters in earth-toned, floor-length robes.
- The other attendants wore gold and ivory floor-length dresses and carried matching dolly bags, with posies of white roses.
- She was wearing a black floor-length skirt and a white v-neck shirt.
- Audrey was wearing a very elegant sparkling light pink floor-length gown.
- A clingy body stocking complements a floor-length skirt with a pareo tied at the waist for flair.
- Dressed in floor-length robes and his head draped in cloth, Mutwa offered the detectives a disturbing interpretation of the boy's murder.
- Off came the floor-length gowns, on went the hot-pants.
- I spun around, showing off my floor-length coat.
- I liked his slinky grey silver silk charmeuse long-sleeve floor-length dress.
- He led her to the couch and got them comfortably arranged, with her feet drawn up under her white, floor-length gown, and her head against his chest.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.