In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- You'll notice that all the foamy bubbles will disappear from the surface of the soup - that's the sign that it's ready.
- I happened to have whipped left over, and that makes it foamy, but regular cream will do just fine, too.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk or fork until lemon-yellow and foamy.
- I was given a can of foamy insulation-type stuff, and told to squirt foam into any holes in the boards in the ceiling.
- To finish, place over medium heat and add remaining butter; whisk until foamy.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.