In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1señal de niebla femenino
- The light has a nominal range of 22 miles and the fog signal a usual range of 2 miles.
- In the 1820s a bell fog signal was apparently introduced at West Quoddy Head Lighthouse in Maine.
- Semaphore flags and fog signals are methods of communication.
- The original fog signal was a steam whistle, similar to the kind used in locomotives and ships.
- Students were taught how to lay dummy charges and fog signals, then walk away and hide.
- When the automated fog signal was installed the south window was blocked with the fog sensor.
- These vessels, while constrained, are required to sound the same fog signal that would be sounded while underway.
- Later various different fog signals were used until 1904 when a compressed air system replaced the old steam-operated signals.
- Two years later, the original fog signal was replaced by a one and a half story, wood-framed structure.
- In the background is one of the two new electronic fog signals currently in use at Spring Point.
- The air fog signal was replaced by an electric omnidirectional signal controlled by a fog detector.
- There was a special felt lined cupboard for storing the detonators for the fog signal charges.
- Beavertail has probably seen more types of fog signals than any other New England lighthouse station.
- Construction began on the fog signal on July 1, 1890, and was completed on October 9 the same year.
- The fog signal, a 12-inch steam whistle, was attached to the roof of the fog signal building.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.