In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Earthworms are collected by extraction using formalin or mustard solution, by digging and by handsorting.
- The liver biopsy specimens were fixed in 10% neutral-buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin.
- The specimens were fixed in formalin and embedded in paraffin.
- Sitting in the corner of the tank room is a new wooden box that contains about 3,800 litres of a nasty liquid made from a mixture of formalin and salt water.
- The specimens were fixed in formalin, and paraffin sections were stained with hematoxylin-eosin and saffron.
- All surgical specimens were fixed in formalin and examined with hematoxylin-eosin stain.
- Also known as Zenker-formol, this is a modification of Zenker's fluid in which formalin is substituted for acetic acid.
- Specimens were placed in formalin, fixed overnight, stained with hematoxylin and eosin, embedded in paraffin, and cut with a microtome.
- Tissue samples are preserved in formalin or occasionally other fixatives before processing and embedding in paraffin.
- The specimens were fixed in formalin for histological analysis.
- Gonads from fresh material were fixed in Bouin's solution or buffered 10% formalin.
- The specimen was fixed in 10% buffered formalin and routinely processed.
- The tissue specimens were fixed and preserved in formalin for histopathological evaluation.
- At this time the tumor was excised and placed in a 2% formalin solution.
- Dead snakes brought to the hospital were labelled and preserved in 10% formalin or 70% ethanol.
- Other chemicals Spry discussed include peracetic acid, hydrogen peroxide, formalin, and methyl methacrylate.
- Tissue samples from the spleen were fixed in buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin.
- These lung tissues were inflated by injection of 10% buffered formalin and embedded in paraffin wax.
- Liver tumors were sampled at random and fixed in buffered formalin, and embedded sections were stained with hematoxylin and eosin.
- All specimens were fixed in formalin, embedded in paraffin, and cut in 5-em-thick sections.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.