In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1antesanteriormenteour formerly happy home — nuestro otrora feliz hogar literario
- It was formerly a health centre but for over a year had been empty and unused.
- A pub named after him can be found on Broadwick Street, formerly Broad Street, in London.
- It has a long and proud history and the building was formerly a row of weavers' cottages.
- The first floor of Glendower House was also formerly the offices of the Tenby employment exchange.
- Of course, ignominious ends for formerly beautiful actresses is a tale familiar to the point of cliche.
- The nightclub was formerly Cloud Nine and had been in existence in the city for more than 20 years.
- This was part of the redevelopment of the whole area formerly covered by the docks.
- Such anecdotes illuminate the dry facts and dates in which the past was formerly embalmed.
- The premises had also formerly operated as a guesthouse, and it faces on to Eyre Square.
- I stared at the space that had formerly been occupied by the noticeboard.
- The club formerly had its own grass courts at the top of Kingsbury Street but these were sold for redevelopment.
- A chartered accountant by profession, he was formerly head of Clydesdale Bank Equity.
- Gibson, who formerly worked in both private and public sector health care, sees some signs of change.
- The listed building, formerly the Marvic Hotel, has since been twice extended.
- The Conigre development transformed a formerly derelict area of the town into new homes.
- His wife, Vanessa, formerly a Bradford probation officer, is now a divorce mediator.
- Wagg Foods was formerly known as Page Feeds, which was founded in Tadcaster in 1923.
- Above all, the idea was to create a beacon to further development in a formerly dilapidated area.
- There is already a gated road formerly designated an emergency entrance to and exit from the hospital site.
- What benefit to the public is there to pay salaries to those who formerly entered politics as a vocational choice?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.