In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I'm beginning to suspect, rather, that we are witnessing the emergence of a new but still largely formless language that will one day be the language of the world.
- I shaped a new form out of an abstraction, out of a formless trace.
- It is a vague, formless mass movement motivated by divergent expectations of change.
- After months of seemingly formless frame work the shape of the new community is emerging as the cladding is added to the exterior.
- This is now an addition of a new idea; it is completely formless and shapeless.
- The real tragedy of this is that the band seems to have some really decent ideas hiding in these formless almost-songs.
- As he neared the hill the shapes took outlines of men instead of the formless gray lumps they'd appeared as.
- If a poem is random or formless, I think it's deficient.
- Some people try to escape the formless mass of humanity - can you imagine 3 million people living in squalor in camps in one region?
- A rampart of intricate and infinitely various shapes, it gives form to the formless open sea.
- It seemed as if I had acquired no values from my own upbringing, as if I had no previous idea how human beings should treat each other, as if I was completely formless when I met him.
- The shapes begin to move faster and become more formless.
- A person can form things in his thought, and, by impressing his thought upon formless substance, can cause the thing he thinks about to be created.
- She ran without effort, the world reduced to formless blurs of color.
- An idea slipped out, as formless at first as the faint shadows of the courtyard around them in the early rays of dawn.
- Though the film's focus is on character and the structure appears loose, even formless at times, this is deceptive.
- There, in the flickering firelight, she saw some formless shape join two waiting others.
- She moved back, her formless shape guarding him, but not blocking the path.
- The zone suspends light and shadow, hanging them like a formless gray gauze.
- Going beyond the literal meaning, the exhibition explored the nuanced implications of the formless substance that is dust.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.