In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1fuerte masculino(small) fortín masculino
- The mound is surmounted by an old Turkish fort.
- At the east end is a small promontory fort, probably Iron Age.
- The Roman army had hospitals in its frontier forts and along major routes.
- The port was guarded by strong tower forts at the entrance to the harbour.
- There are around 50 hill forts in total in the county.
- Archaeologists have identified one of Britain's largest prehistoric hill forts in the North Yorkshire Moors.
- Was this a prehistoric promontory fort, as traces might indicate?
- Captured forts and colonies were useful bargaining items at the peace talks.
- What's he going to do after he builds the snow fort?
- The ship fired a dozen shots at the ancient Spanish fort guarding the capital.
- Meanwhile, those few who had managed to scramble ashore were sheltering below a ruined Turkish fort.
- The larger auxiliary forts were also provided with smaller hospitals, of which several in Great Britain have been excavated.
- This period saw the establishment of a number of strongly defended forts on strategically placed high points all over the region.
- I could construct the very best forts around.
- Soon he arrived at what appeared to be a very primitive border fort.
- Some are like ancient forts, some like old men bowing.
- Tomas pointed out the promontory forts that are dotted around the area.
- After nearly half an hour, a large stone fort began to form in the horizon.
- Attempts to associate the visit with restructuring and improving the coastal forts of Britain have not survived archaeological scrutiny.
- In the 1960s, many of the old coastal forts were turned over to the National Park Service.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.