In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Bohlin used a basic four-square layout, positioning rooms symmetrically around the cast concrete monolith.
- Low, massive, four-square steel sculptures are arranged in a grid.
- It is just too blocky, too bulky, a very four-square building.
- Nothing remains of these early structures and the present massive, four-square castle-palace dates back to the reign of Charles V.
2(firm)(decision/position/approach) firme(decision/approach/position) inequívoco
- Like its predecessor, Stingray was built around some very simple elements - a four-square hero, a fantastic craft which lends its name to the show and a mix of fast-paced action and innocent humour.
3(forthright)(account/person) franco(account/person) sincero
- Einstein is four-square in the camp of Bernoulli and de Moivre.
- The tradition stands four-square against it, on all fronts.
- This bill delivers four-square on our promise to protect public access and clarify ownership.
- I stand four-square for reason, and object to what seems to me to be irrationality, whatever the source.
- She says she was four-square behind the campaign to wring as much money from the clubs as possible in order to help fund players in the lower leagues who fall on hard times.
- As a result, he is now four-square behind the controversial plan under which smokers in bars would have to step outside if they wanted to light up.
- This year's only new theme is corporate corruption - which everybody's four-square against.
- But now the club is defiantly back on its own two feet and is standing four-square to enter a new headquarters, which is hoped will signal a new era of success.
- All of the four major-party candidates are four-square in favor of executing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.