In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1tracción integral femeninotracción a cuatro ruedas femeninobefore noun a four-wheel drive vehicle — un vehículo con tracción en las cuatro ruedas
- Police in four-wheel-drive vehicles and on horseback patrolled the beaches while dog squads, bicycle units and foot patrols roamed the streets.
- It accelerates faster because it has four-wheel-drive traction.
- The car also marks the 25th anniversary of the Audi-pioneered four-wheel-drive system that has changed the face of international rallying.
- Over the last decade, it has gone to rack and ruin and is now a haunt for bikers and four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- Some modern Bedu have acquired trucks and other four-wheel-drive vehicles to replace the camel as transportation.
- Madras Road was virtually impassable to traffic, allowing only for four-wheel-drive vehicles and trucks, which could go up to a certain point and then turn back.
- Emergency doctors in the region have a new fleet of four-wheel-drive vehicles which will help them get to its more remote areas.
- We had four desert equipped four-wheel-drive vehicles, two landrovers and two Bedford lorries.
- Transportation is by train, tram, motorcoach, and four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- It has called on the expertise of Porsche, Borg Warner, Sachs and Bosch to sort out suspension, fuel injection and the four-wheel-drive system.
- We leave the relatively smooth dirt roads previously flattened by NGO supply lorries and four-wheel-drive jeeps.
- Access to the Buller River mouth is now only possible by four-wheel-drive vehicles travelling along the beach, as a private road has apparently been closed.
- Grinding forward in low gear, the four-wheel-drive truck bucks and sways along the dirt track.
- Australian images still rely heavily - and effectively - on rural symbolism, be it in selling beer or four-wheel-drive vehicles to the urban market.
- I thought at one time that it was because we live in a semi-rural position in the Pennines that you see lots of four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- The officer, using a four-wheel-drive vehicle, plowed through snowdrifts three to four feet high.
- He was charged with a high-range drink-driving offence after his four-wheel-drive vehicle hit an electricity pole on August 24.
- The poorly grated dirt road challenges even four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- We are all aware that occupants of small, light cars take the brunt of damage and injury in collisions with the big four-wheel-drive vehicles.
- The transactions totalled more than £5m and helped prompt a spending spree on four-wheel-drive vehicles in Pakistan.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.