In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cuartosee also fifth
- It is all the more striking that, throughout the fifth and fourth centuries, the generalship could be held repeatedly.
- The team's fourth management team in four years is now in place.
- They also brought the fourth official from four hours away from somewhere in Co. Clare, and a linesman from Laois.
- This was their fourth defeat out of four and their third in the last four years.
- While Michael was setting a world mark, Nat rolled to her fourth win in four tries.
- A left hook ends it one minute, four seconds into the fourth round.
- This is my fourth match in four days - footballers start whingeing about being tired if they're involved in more than one a week.
- By challenging the need for contact between the two sexes, Greek myths of the fifth and fourth centuries bc express unease about the need for women as a means to continue the human race.
- And then, once I got the joiner to agree to my fourth stair design in four days, the only way was up.
- China, which constitutes the fourth border, does an equally forbidding job of keeping outsiders at bay.
- We were married four days after the fourth anniversary of our meeting each other.
- Notably, delinquencies rose in all four regions during the fourth quarter.
- Medical errors in the NHS now constitute the fourth largest cause of death in Britain.
- In the past, when considering whether or not he would stand for a fourth term, the Constitution did not appear to matter.
- Three of the other churches are dedicated to St. Gregory, who brought Christianity to Armenia at the beginning of the fourth century.
- It was the Bulgarian midfielder's fourth goal in four league matches.
- You have the third ring, the fourth ring and the fifth ring.
- And my goal in life is really to set up a third center, a fourth center, a fifth center in areas just like this.
- He recorded his fourth save in four chances last week against the Indians.
- This was his sixth championship match and he failed by only two runs to record his fourth century.
1(in position, time, order)en cuarto lugar
2(fourthly)en cuarto lugarsee also fifth
2also fourth gearAutomóvilescuarta femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.